Thursday, November 13, 2014

DIY Message Poster


So I've had some canvases lying around my house for about a year and finally decided what to do with them. One I made a super cool New Jersey silhouette (also featured on my instagram @ohmykarin)


But instead of making that, I'm going to show you how to make a different, just as cool piece, which you can customize with your own sayings or quotes you find.  

Supplies Needed: 

Paint; I used red and blue to try and make a blue to purple ombre effect, which wasn't as effective as planned, but still came out nicely.


Foam letters; any kind you want to use because you'll be taking them off anyway

Canvas; you can use any size canvas you want, depending on how big you want your piece to be
and a paint brush; I used a brush like the one third from the left



So I suggest starting out with a saying or a quote that you particularly like and I originally had "They call us dreamers but we're the ones who don't sleep." but I didn't have enough letters and space for that so I paraphrased it to "They call us dreamers but we can't sleep." which I felt worked just as well. After arranging the letters in the words you want I then began to stick them on the canvas. (note: I started out with the word don't then changed it to can't)







After your letters are secured on to the canvas, you can begin painting. I mixed red and blue to create a purple






I tried to create a slight ombre effect by adding more blue at the bottom and having a more purple color at the top.





After it completely dried, I peeled off the letters and then decided to add some little stars with some yellow paint. The letters didn't come out as clean as I would have hoped but I really like how it came out in the end. 
Here it is on my bedroom wall


I really quite like this and like doing these kinds of things. Maybe I'll show how to make the New Jersey piece that is on my instagram.

Talk to you later,

-Karin xx












No comments:

Post a Comment