Saturday, January 13, 2018

Japan.


After almost two weeks at sea, in January 2017, we arrived in Japan. This being the first country I had been to without being able to understand at least some of the language scared me, but my excitement to discover the country for myself overpowered any feelings of self doubt. 

It's best to let go of your inhibitions, like these balloons, when they are holding you back (probably not like these balloons)

After waiting for what felt like an eternity to get off the ship (although the welcome band was a pleasant surprise), my first stop was to explore the port city, Kobe. Kobe which is in Southern Japan, is home to temples, Mt. Rokko, and many other intriguing areas that reflect the city's colourful history. Some of my highlights include Kobe's Chinatown, nightlife, and Mt. Rokko. 







 The next day my World Art class went to Kyoto, where we got to meditate with a Buddhist monk, and then went to the Ryōan-ji rock garden. Learning how to properly meditate from a monk in the Shunkō-in temple, established in 1590, really makes you think about your place in life (something to contemplate while meditating, I think) and Ryōan-ji, the most famous rock garden in Japan, was certainly an interesting place to see.



 






The following day I went back to Kyoto, this time heading to Rokuon-ji Temple - the Golden Temple, Nijō Castle, Nishiki Market, and the Yasaka Shrine. The Golden temple was an incredible sight, that is hand leafed on both the inside and outside of the temple. All of these places really immersed me into Japanese history and culture, both medieval and modern. The Nishiki Market had an amazing blend of both traditional and modern vendors, selling everything from fresh fish and squid, to handmade figurines and touristy souvenirs. We ended the day wandering the geisha district that dates back centuries. 













I ended the day going out with my friends in Kobe before going on my last trip in Japan.


Went to a Canadian bar, owned by an American who I'm now friends on facebook with

We ordered "pizza"

My last and biggest trip in Japan happened on the latter end of my time there. I took a Semester at Sea run trip to Hiroshima and Himeiji, which included a trip to Miyajima Island and its famous Itsukushima Shrine. We caught a bullet train from Kobe, and then rode a ferry to the island. Going here was probably my favourite part of my visit. The island has deer roaming across the island that come right up to you (especially if you have food) and I also got to visit the Itsukushima Shrine, famous for its floating Torii Gate. It was also here that I took one of my favourite photos ever. 








Probably the best photo I have ever taken and will ever take

Following the visit to the Miyajima Island, we headed to Hiroshima and the Peace Memorial Park and Museum. After sobbing through the museum, we ended the night with some shopping exploring its bustling downtown. The next and last day was spent going to Himeiji Castle. And after climbing to the absolute top of the Himeiji Castle, seeing a ninja on the way up, I visited the royal gardens before getting on the bus back to Kobe. 

















And with that, my Japan trip had concluded. The end of my first trip of Semester at Sea ended a chapter of naivety and self doubt, ushering in a new found confidence that only an experience can bring. Seeing so many stunning places in this country, I can't wait to go back and see even more. Throughout my travels, Japan has stuck with me as a place of astonishing people, history, and culture. It also helped to create a stronger definition of culture differentiation between the Japanese and the next country I went to: China. 

Talk to you later,

-Karin xx




No comments:

Post a Comment