Sunday, March 20, 2016

Museum Magic: San Diego Museum of Art

Still hooked on San Diego and still slightly jet lagged because of daylight savings and time zone change, I'm going to talk about the San Diego Museum of Art. As I had mentioned in the previous post, the museum is on the smaller side, but that should not dismiss the quality of art it showcases. It is located in Balboa Park, which is a beautiful area with great views and a bunch of other museums. Anyway, the museum had four exhibitions going on while I was there; German Expressionism, Harry Sternberg, Medieval European Portraits, and Art of East Asia (Right now there are more exhibitions open than when I went).


The East Asian gallery had a collection of Islamic, Hindu, and Buddhist art. 









The German Expressionism gallery was next and was probably my second favorite one. (I'm a bit biased when it comes to expressionism)



I think the Harry Sternberg gallery was my favorite one open because of the use of color and eccentric style. 




Lastly, the medieval portraits I found to be somewhat interesting some had symbolism in them, using dogs to depict loyalty and running water or the color blue to show purity in women. I also think that its kinda funny how the painting could be so realistic until you see the face, because no one in the medieval era could paint faces accurately. 




This is like a 4in x 4in portrait that I just found funny to look at
The San Diego Museum of Art also has an outdoor sculpture garden exhibit which was pretty cool because some of them move with the wind and are meant to be seen moving so it was pretty snazzy to see open air art in action. 



So there you have it, a semi-comprehensive look into San Diego's Museum of Art. Tune in next week for something else that I need to think of and then write for the internet. 


Talk to you later,

-Karin xx

No comments:

Post a Comment